Are you vacationing in Puerto Vallarta and want to try the best margaritas in town? As you know, Margaritas are the most popular tequila based cocktail in the US, and even worldwide. Curious about the exact origin of the margarita? Some claim the Margarita was invented in 1938 by Carlos “Danny” Herrera at his restaurant Rancho La Gloria near Tijuana, Mexico for customer and former Ziegfeld dancer Marjorie King who was allergic to all liquors except tequila.
Delicious and refreshing margaritas are found all across Mexico and in Puerto Vallarta. Try these top five margaritas in Puerto Vallarta:
- Sea Monkey is a laid back beach bar with palapa covered tables right on the sand. A perfect spot to admire the stunning ocean views, their margaritas are tasty and well priced. In the mood for a snack to go along with your margarita? Ask for their menu as Sea Monkey is famous for large portions that won’t break the bank. Make it your first stop as it becomes extremely busy later in the day and you may not be able to get a table.
- El Solar is a relaxed dive beach bar with a hipster vibe located in the 5 de Diciembre neighborhood of downtown. Best known for its a variety of mezcal and tequila cocktails at reasonable prices, El Solar has a small, inside bar but the best seating is right on the sand under the shade of a beach umbrella. Sit back and relax in their comfy loungers while you sip your margarita cocktail. You like spicy? Try the Mezcalita which combines mezcal and serrano chile peppers for quite a kick! Barracuda next door has a great food menu if you want to eat as well and your waiter can bring your order right to you on the beach. Whale watching is possible between the months of December through March, so keep your eyes peeled on the horizon!
- Patio de mi Casa is a charming, hidden gem located in an interior courtyard near the Rio Cuale. Their classic margarita is everything that’s right about a margarita. Perfect for a romantic evening, or for getting together with friends, El Patio de mi Casa is cozy, comfortable and you can enjoy live music on weekend evenings.
- La Palapa was established in 1951 and is the oldest beachfront restaurant in Puerto Vallarta. They offer a wide variety of upscale, exquisite margarita combinations for every taste, and their delicious food has a beautiful presentation that will please your eye as well as your belly. It is on the pricier side, so why not head out early and try breakfast for better priced option. Just as tasty as lunch or dinner, but you can save money on the meal and spend more on your cocktails. Sounds like a good plan to me!
- La Playa is a fun, tiny bar located in Old Town just one block inland from the malecon. It’s Jalapeno margarita is a tantalizing mix of sweet and spicy that will have you begging for more. Interested in an evening stroll? Head next door to the adjacent Lazaro Cardenas park and take a tranquil stroll with your sweetie. You can also walk the malecon or check out the Puerto Vallarta pier which is just steps away from La Playa.
A margarita is the perfect summer drink that you can enjoy all year round in Puerto Vallarta. Next time you are in PV, try as many of our top five margarita spots as you can. It’s tequila time, baby!